ANNAPOLIS – Key points to the model state bill proposed by the Center for Law and the Public’s Health include:
– Governor may declare 30-day state of public health emergency, and extend it if needed.
During the emergency the bill provides:
– State power to quarantine individuals exposed to a contagious disease.
– Individuals power to protest quarantine through courts.
– Special identification for public health workers.
– State power to require medical exams.
– State power to require treatment or vaccination.
– Limited state access to private health records.
– State power to close, evacuate, decontaminate or destroy any building or area.
– State power to seize any property.
– State power to control and dispose of any corpse.
– State control over the distribution of health care supplies.
– Individual right to payment for confiscated property, except for that posing a public health risk. The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act can be found on line at http://www.publichealthlaw.net/MSEHPA/MSEHPA.pdf